Monday, October 3, 2011

My thoughts on writing

There’s something magical and beautiful about a yellow rose. It’s bright, sunny color evokes a feeling of warmth and happiness. Wouldn’t you agree? It’s been said that a yellow rose symbolizes joy, friendship, and the promise of a new beginning. These symbolisms remind me of my writing relationship because the simple act of writing brings me joy. I feel most alive when I’m writing. I get lost in writing and can sit and write for hours. Writing requires a lot of editing though, mostly because I miss a lot of words here and there. I think this happens because I can’t possibly type as fast as I think. For me, editing takes time because I want my words to flow, to have rhythm and to breathe life into the reader. I must admit I LOVE editing. It’s my favorite part about writing because when I’m editing, I feel like I’m creating. I delight in the exploration of my thoughts to string words together to convey what I'm trying to communicate. And for writers, our editing relationship should be friendly and develop into a partnership, a true friendship. It’s my belief that through editing, a writer’s work takes on the promise of a new beginning. New beginnings always mean new experiences and for a girl who loves new experiences, this excites me. These days, I’m practicing more and more to write from the heart during my first pass, capturing as many details as possible, documenting how I feel and what I was thinking and learning during my important life moments. It isn’t until all the raw detail is captured that I go back to begin the editing process. I’m learning that if I worry about getting it right the first time, I risk forgetting important and precious details. I’m learning that getting lost isn’t so bad or scary when it involves words. In fact, getting lost during the editing process happens every single time. When I’m in editing mode, I can go hours without eating or drinking. I never think about food when I'm writing, and if I’m thirsty, I tell myself, I’ll get some water in just a few minutes. Minutes become hours. It’s difficult to explain what happens to me and time when I’m editing. Is it escapism or am I born writer? What ever it is, I don’t mind because editing for me is like creating and creating makes me feel alive. And when I feel alive, I'm happy. 


What makes you feel most alive? What makes you feel happy?