Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Five provocative questions

Many of my friends know that I love, love, love ponderous and provocative questions, probably because I’m a thinker and thinking always leads to discovery. Discovery almost always creates new energy which often leads to new movement. This movement is usually a gradual unfolding. Life, people and how people behave and respond to life intrigue me immensely. I’m always observing and paying attention to what people say, how they say it and how they respond to life's circumstances. This is one of the many ways I learn. Ponderous and provocative questions excite me because I love spending time exploring the answers. I find that in exploring the answers I discover and learn many things about myself. And if you've been following my blog regularly, you know how much I love learning, right? Below you’ll find five powerful questions that will lead to self-discovery. I take no credit for these questions. These questions came from author, life coach and motivational speaker Valorie Burton. I hope these questions provide some fabulous "food for thought" and may they serve as a catalyst to help you move forward in a key area of your life. 

1. Why am I here?

This question gets to the core of your life mission. Every experience, every contact, and every gift or talent that you have exists to support you in accomplishing your mission in life. If you are alive, you are here for a purpose. What will be the most important mark you make on the world?

2. What would I like to learn?

The most interesting people are those with a diversity of perspectives and experiences. Life is a learning journey. The more we learn, the more we grow... and the richer and deeper our life experience. Make a list of things you'd like to learn and make plans to learn them. Be willing to try something new, something that takes you outside of your comfort zone.

3. What brings me joy?

Often it is the simple things that bring us the most joy. Make a list of the things that bring you joy. Then begin incorporating those things into your life on a daily basis. Don't wait for a special occasion to purposefully make your life joyful. You deserve joy every day.

4. What am I most afraid of?

Fear can be our enemy if we allow it to be. Fear also can be a great teacher and a catalyst for change. For example, fear that you will fail can motivate you to be creative and work hard so that you succeed. On the other hand, fear can keep you from living your highest potential if your fear paralyzes you from moving forward in your life. Once you identify your fear, you can begin determining ways to reduce the risk that your fear presents. Once you make the decision to overcome your fear, you find your fears are often more perception than reality. As a result, you fear less in your life than ever before.

5. What is one step I can take today to move closer to my ideal life?

Taking a step toward your dreams will generate excitement for the possibilities available to you. Write a vision of your ideal life and then move toward it one step at a time. Celebrate your steps along the way. Consider that following rules and tradition is not a prerequisite to success. Open your mind to creating your own opportunities - it's what I call "entrepreneurial thinking."