Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Mouth Full of Joy!

My new favorite meal: Chicken Saltimbocca served at Cooper’s Hawk Winery!

My dining experience last night at Cooper's Hawk was outstanding! The atmosphere was great and the service was spot on. My meal was fantastico and the company was great as we celebrated new beginnings, nothing short of joyful.

You’re probably wondering what chicken saltimbocca is, right? Well, for those of you who might be wondering, it consists of thin slices of chicken breast sautéed with prosciutto, provolone, garlic, and sage served in a white wine lemon sauce. Doesn't that sound heavenly? My saltimbocca last night included artichoke hearts, capers, and tomatoes. It was “OMG ah-mazing!” The prosciutto imparts a savory salty flavor that goes oh so well with chicken and adds such a delightful texture to the overall dish.

As many of you might know, I love learning and as much as possible, I try to learn one new thing every day. Seriously, I do. I’m hopeful it will keep me sharp until I’m 100 [Insert smile here]. Anyhow, I learned today that saltimbocca is an Italian word which means “jumps in the mouth.” Saltimbocca is "classically" made with veal, and I'm super glad that Cooper's Hawk chose chicken because I'm not a veal kind of girl. I prefer chicken or fish.  Saltimbocca is most popular in southern Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Greece.

Cooper’s Hawk Chicken Saltimbocca is without question a mouth full of joy and a must have if you haven't tried it. The flavors pop and really do jump in your mouth. It’s was wildly delicious and goes down in this season as one of my favorite meals. Two thumbs up!

Until next time, stay thirsty and buon appetito!

~Ruthie