Saturday, March 31, 2012

Scars Don't Still Hurt




This is a very short but powerful message from Beth Moore. And here's my confession: I can relate to what Beth shares in the video 100% percent. I'm not proud of this but if I'm going to be an honest writer, I must admit that I've done some pretty stupid things in my past when I felt rejected or when I learned that I was deceived by a disingenuous person who I thought loved and cared about me. Truth be told, rejection hurts. It shreds your heart into a million tiny pieces. It's awful and can provoke us to do dumb things that we later regret deeply. And here's what I've learned when I've been deeply hurt and wounded: You have to give yourself time, space and grace when you're doing soul work and you must absolutely be kind to yourself on practicing good self-care during times of emotional healing. 

Healing can be a very messy process. There are so many emotions involved. For the most part, when the wound is fresh, we feel small and fragile and we're always seconds away from crying. Can anyone relate to this??? We don't feel very strong or courageous or confident when we're wounded. In fact, we feel joy-less and every day looks gray even if the sun is shining. And yet if we are going to heal and move on, I have learned that healing is for the courageous at heart. It takes real courage and true guts to fight through staying stuck in the pain and rising above. It's hard and gutsy work. Healing is possible and you don't have to do it alone. God will help you if you let Him in.

I've also learned that forgiving those who hurt us is absolutely essential to God healing our wounds. Forgiving them doesn't mean that you condone what they did. In fact it has less to do with the person who hurt us and has everything to do with letting go and liberating ourselves. It's about accepting that the past could have been any different. It's about moving on. I've learned that when we make the decision to forgive someone, it's an act of obedience to God and God meets us in the pain and delivers us from hurting. It doesn't happen over night, but it does happen. 

I've also learned that God is our only true healer, our only true tear dryer and heart mender. Beloved reader, if you're in a season of emotional healing, please be kind to yourself. Please give yourself time, grace and space. Please be patient. Healing will come. It takes time and until it does, I hope these words will bless you and encourage you. 


Wishing you peace and wholeness today and always.


Until next time, 


xx, Ruthie 

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear. ~ Psalm 46:1-2

God never wastes a hurt if we let Him write our story.  ~ Steve Saint