Thursday, November 1, 2012

Gratitude


For three years now, I post something every day during the month of November on Facebook sharing with friends and family what I'm thankful for. I do this because I want to encourage others to think about gratitude and to live with gratitude and also because this practice helps me slow down long enough to share what I'm grateful for. It helps me recognize how blessed I really am to be alive and to experience such blessings. Every day may not be a perfect day but every day has something in it that we can give God thanks for. 

Living with gratitude is a practice and I live with gratitude daily to a holy God for His goodness in my life. Everything I experience I've learned has something to teach me and I've learned to be thankful in all things. Someone once said that gratitude turns what we have into enough. Such true words ... As I get older, I'm learning to become content in all things. I don't have everything I want but everything I need I have and for that I'm grateful. I never want to take for granted that I live in such a rich country. When I consider how others live in other countries, it makes me feel like a spoiled brat when I want more, more, more. Sometimes, I just need a reality check and I must remember, that I have all I need. In fact, I spent most of 2012 purging and gave away so much. It wasn't easy but in the end, it felt good and I feel SO free! Less really is more. It's about dynamic equilibrium. That's just a fancy way of saying: balance. ; ) 

At age 45, I've come to recognize that I want to live the rest of my life appreciating every waking moment as much as possible. I realize its not always possible but every day I've learned is a gift from God filled with beautiful and sacred moments. I want to recognize and acknowledge these extraordinary and sometimes quite simple moments and whisper quiet thank you's to God Almighty for allowing me to witness and experience such beauty.   

I found a video on gratitude tonight on Pinterest. I really enjoyed how it slowed me down for six minutes and how it made my heart smile and feel grateful. I'm pretty sure it lowered my blood pressure too. It's a lovely and ponderous video. Click here to view it. I hope it blesses you.

So ... tell me. What are you thankful for today?

Until next time, love and blessings to you and yours ...

xx, Ruthie


May the Lord bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you. May He be gracious to you, lift you up and bless you with His peace.  ~Numbers 24-26

When God’s face shines upon you, that’s Big Daddy smiling at you, beloved.