Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Creative spirits never "really" retire

Here's what I've observed through the years about creative people: creative spirits never "really" retire. They may take sabbaticals here and there but they always return to do what they love. For me, my creative thing is writing. I love to write. Seriously, I just love, love, love to write. Professionally speaking and by definition I am not a writer, but at the very core of who I am, I am a writer. It’s what makes me feel most alive. It’s what I love to do when I have down time. It's what I love to do when I want to communicate to a loved one what I'm feeling and what they mean to me. Writing for me is easier than speaking because I'm able to share and express myself from the heart in an uninterrupted manner. It's an opportunity for me to leave people with words, my words, words of encouragement, words that communicate: "You're important to me, you matter and I love you." I never want to minimize the power of words. Words are SO incredibly powerful. And the gift of words, the right words, words expressed with love and gratitude are incredibly valuable. When you write someone a letter to encourage them or to communicate how much they mean to you, you are giving them an indelible gift. They will then be able to read and re-read that letter as often as they need to. It's something tangible for them to keep, to hold on to, it's something valuable that will help them remember. And sometimes, we just need to remember. 

From a very early age, I have always loved words and how people string words together to communicate. Seriously, it has always been so fascinating to me. And rarely do I meet people who share this same passion but when I meet one of these lovely creatures, I get ridiculously excited and our conversations are always fantastic!

When I sit to write I feel like it clears my head and helps me record and communicate what I’m thinking, what I’m processing, and what I’m learning. Writing has been very good therapy for me through the years. At times, it’s been incredibly cathartic and sometimes we just need to find a way to release what we feel. For me, writing is that thing that helps me communicate what I feel. Writing is my release. For others, it’s calling a friend or talking to their therapist or praying to God. Admittedly, I have done all three but writing is what helps me the most, it’s what heals me, it's what helps me learn because as I write, I learn so much about myself. Undoubtedly, writing is that thing that makes me feel most alive. And I think it's because there are so many emotions involved when you write. Writing for me is my safe place, a sacred practice a very necessary thing for me. People feel most alive when they do the thing they love to do, what they were wired and created to do in life. And I believe I was born to write.

Many people have shared with me through the years that my writing inspires them. It's such a blessing to hear that because it's confirmation for me. It confirms that I'm doing the very thing that God created me to do. Writing is important to me and the content of what I write about is important to me. It makes me feel really good inside to know that my writing is making a difference. One of the reasons why it makes me feel good is because often times when I write, the heart of many people are on my mind and I trust and pray that when they read my words, it will bless them in some small way.  

Not today, and not tomorrow but one day I will be old and if I get to have my way in life, I will continue to write until I take my last breath. I may take a sabbatical here and there, but I will always return to what I love the most. And what I love the most is writing and who I love the most is God. Today, I am thankful that God created me to write. 

Love and blessings to you and yours ...

xx, Ruthie


May the Lord bless you and keep you and may His face shine upon you. May He be gracious to you, lift you up and bless you with His peace.  ~Numbers 24-26

When God’s face shines upon you, that’s Big Daddy smiling at you, beloved.