Thursday, September 29, 2011

My Favorite Writing Quotes




To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music that words make. ~Truman Capote


Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth


Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own. ~ Carol Burnett

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~ Anaïs Nin

Words are things, and a small drop of ink, falling like dew upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think. ~ Lord Byron

Ink on paper is as beautiful to me as flowers on the mountains; God composes, why shouldn't we? ~ Terri Guillemets

If I don’t write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~ Lord Byron

For your born writer, nothing is so healing as the realization that he has come upon the right word. ~ Catherine Drinker Bowen

Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart. ~ Jeremiah 15:16 (NASB)

Write your first draft with your heart. Re-write with your head. ~ From the movie Finding Forrester

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. ~ Isaac Asimov

Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of her life, every quality of her mind is written large in her works. ~ Virginia Woolf

If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it. ~ Anais Nin (French-Cuban Author)

A writer is a reader who is moved to emulation. ~ Saul Bellow

I am sure that some people are born to write as trees are born to bear leaves.   For these, writing is a necessary mode of their own development. ~ C. S. Lewis

We write because the human spirit cannot be tamed and should not be trained.   ~ Nikki Giovanni

One of the few things I know about writing is this: spend it all. Shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it, give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better. These things will fill from behind, from beneath, like water. Similarly, the impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes.  ~ Annie Dillard

Dear Reader:

I hope you enjoyed reading these quotes as much as I did. I can’t imagine life without writing. Writing for me has been a process of discovery. The more I write, the more I discover.  

My goal in life is to document my important life moments not only through writing, but with photography as well. Beginning in 2012, I’m going to begin posting my photography. My words and my photography, that's what I want to leave behind as my gift.  

As always, many thanks for reading.

Blessings …

~Ruthie