Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My thoughts on love

Those who are close to me know full well that I am not a morning person. And when I say that, I don’t mean that I’m grumpy or grouchy. What I mean is that I’m a chronic snoozer and that I’m mostly quiet and prefer my mornings to be quiet so I can hear myself thinking. I know it’s totally oxymoronic and completely incongruent but I believe that some of my best thinking takes place in the morning. Strange for someone who is undoubtedly nocturnal, huh? Mostly, I wake up happy and filled with gratitude for a new day I love that about me. For me, mornings feel like the most sacred part of my day. And not all mornings feel sacred, but today my morning felt sacred. Nothing extraordinary happened to make it feel sacred, it just did. I don’t know how to explain that kind of peace or contentment but if I could bottle it, I’m sure I could sell it. And between you and me, if I could bottle it, I would give it to you as my gift of love. This morning, my heart felt full and light and filled with expectation. I have a one hour commute every morning to my office and so I have 60 full minutes before the noise really begins. This morning as I was driving to the office, the following quote was birthed. It's as if the Holy Spirit (God's spirit) whispered it in my ears, but I could hear it in my spirit:

"Love is more than a four letter word. It's the most powerful word on the planet."

Don’t you just love that??? My friend Cindy reminded me today that it’s the most powerful word in the universe. She’s so right. When I think of love, I think of God because a long time ago I Iearned that God is love. God and love are synonymous. Everything beautiful in life was and is created by love and because of love and everything beautiful is inspired because of love and by love. Love is simply and extraordinarily amazing. It breathes life into people, and circumstances; not sometimes but always. Because of love, we thrive and flourish. Because of love, we let go and let God be God. Because of love, we heal. Love heals and nourishes like nothing I know. A balm or salve doesn't exist that can heal like love heals. It’s what makes the difference in life. It's the most necessary of things. It’s what sustains a life when hopelessness threatens to set in. Without it, there is no forgiveness. Without love, we perish.

I love: love. Can you tell? Is there anything more delicious than love?

Consider the above quote to be your thought for the day. Ponder it and see what God reveals to you today.

Be well my friends. And today, let’s all decide to love well ...

Until next time,

~Ruthie

God is love. ~ 1 John 4:8

We love because he first loved us. ~ 1 John 4:19

Above all things have intense and unfailing love for one another, for love covers a multitude of sins, it forgives and disregards the offenses of others. ~ 1 Peter 4:8