Tuesday, November 15, 2011

French Essence

French Essence is one of very few blogs I follow and this is the blog that inspires me to visit France for so many reasons. Looking at the pictures posted on the French Essence blog today makes me wish I was there. Sigh ... Instead, I find myself sitting in an office 25 miles outside of Chicago when my heart tells me I should be on holiday in the south of France. There are many reasons why I'm drawn to France and this year French music, specifically French jazz became my most favourite music to listen to. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong continent. Have you ever felt like that? I work with and talk with many people who either live in or who formerly lived in Europe or the UK and my many conversations with them have helped me realise that there is still so much of the world I want to see, that I crave to see, that I must visit and experience.

Vicki Archerthe French Essence author and blogger is originally from Sydney, Australia and has lived in France ten plus years. She lives between London and Saint Rémy de Provence mostly in Provence on an olive farm she calls home. She planted the olive grove with more than two thousand trees and lives in a seventeen-century farmhouse she restored over a three year period. Wow! How dreamy. I learned about Vicki's blog through a photography book I purchased over the summer. It was a totally random purchase but a most delightful one. The book is called  French Essence and it was the only copy left at the book store. Surely it was a sign that it needed a new home. The name alone piqued my interest. As a woman who seems to love all things French this intrigued me immensely and when I saw the photos in the book, I knew I had to purchase the book. One might think that this book purchase was totally random as I didn't set out to purchase that book that day but as I ponder this today, I realise that it had purpose after all because it’s inspired me to visit France in the near future. And the dream stays close to my heart every time I read Vicki's blog. I j'adore la photographie and the dreamy photos in the French Essence book and blog are both beautiful and lovely and leave me dreaming. The photographs in the book express Vicki's passion for all things French and her deep love for Provence. I can see why. If you take the time to google images of Provence it will take your breath away. Some images are a sea of lavender and perfectly lovely. I can only imagine what it would feel like to be there, to explore, to see, to smell and to take it all in ... it's beauty, the villages, the markets and the wine aaah ... I can hardly wait. France is calling me my darlings.

As always, merci beaucoup for reading.

À la prochaine,

xx, Ruthie